mother and daughter

What You Need to Know About Modifying Child Custody Orders

At Rutter and Sleeth Law Offices, we understand that circumstances may change after a court ordered child custody agreement. Because of this, you may request that a judge modify the existing order. Before you do file for a modification of existing custody orders, be sure to know these very important facts.

Why Would You Request a Child Custody Order Modification?

Courts will consider the reason you are requesting a child custody order modification before they approve or deny the request. Here are a few reasons you may ask to modify your existing order:

  • Relocation: Whether you or your ex-spouse spouse are relocating, you may need to request a change in the custody order. A relocation could impact custody, as well as visitation orders.
  • Refusal to abide by the agreement: If your ex-spouse is not following the current orders, you can report their actions to the court in your request for modification.
  • A danger to the child: If some situations have changed in the living conditions, and the child is in danger, the court may change custody to ensure the child’s safety.
  • A change in the parent’s situation: A parent’s situation may change when he or she loses a job or dwelling. In this case, the parent’s ability to properly care for the child may diminish, and the custody order may be changed.

What Does a Judge Look for When Making a Custody Modification?

Whenever a judge makes a custody order, they look at the best interests of the child involved. The same can be said for child custody modification requests. If the judge believes the child’s best interests have changed, he or she may grant the request to modify custody orders. You must show that your request is for the child’s best interests, and working with a lawyer can help you throughout the process.

At Rutter and Sleeth Law Offices, our divorce lawyers serve families throughout Columbia, MO. We know that child custody can be highly contentious, and you need someone on your side to protect your parental rights through some of the most difficult processes. Let us help you.

Call our firm today at (573) 279-1349 to discuss your child custody order modification.